There is tapeworm in dog meat.
Hydatid disease, caused by dog tapeworm, is transmitted when a person ingests the eggs of Echinococcus granulosus in food contaminated with dog faeces. This disease may cause symptoms in women that resemble ‘false pregnancy’, because its effect is to enlarge the liver and cause the abdomen to swell so the woman may appear to be pregnant. The infection may also lodge in the lung or the brain. The prevention of disease caused by dog tapeworm is through personal hygiene when handling food and thorough washing of raw foods, especially if they have come into contact with soil.http://www.open.edu/openlearnworks/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=195&printable=1
Countries that eat dog meat:
- China - Yulin Dog Meat Festival; dog meat was banned during the Beijing Olympics; restaurant cuisine
- South Korea - consumes 2 million-2.5 million dogs annually
- Vietnam - for drinking parties, family reunions, and special occasions; smuggled from Thailand; sold in wet market & roadside stalls
- Cambodia - torch dogs to remove fur; sold at roadside stalls
- Indonesia - consumed at special occasions - weddings and holidays; torched dogs while alive
- African countries, Nigeria (largest trafficker and consumer) - grilled dog meat for protection against Ebola virus and for better sex
- Switzerland - common among farmers, limited to family dining, not for sale
- Arctic and Antarctic, including Greenland - only when meat supply is low (as a protein source)
- USA - some restaurants have permit to serve dog meat
- Thailand - supplies dog meat
The following images were obtained from the Internet.
YuLin Dog Meat Festival http://www.foop.tv/vLLhw_yA89svz
Vietnam's Dog Snatchers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdaSt7pFSPU